Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Vista Woes

So far I've managed to avoid having to use Windows Vista. But I've heard the rumours of problems over the past 12 months. Given the hype that has surrounded Vista for the past few years, it's really disappointing to hear. But until now it was all hearsay. But we bought my son a new laptop recently and it came with Vista pre-installed. He's been using a 5 year old PIII running XP and now has a Dual Core 2Gig running Vista.

My initial impressions of Vista were that it looked good and felt fresh. But within an hour of using it both he and I were frustrated by the interface (WTF were they thinking of when they developed this?) and the speed: it's really slow! Now I know the machine itself is fast because we're running XP and Linux on the exact same configuration. So this sluggishness is purely down to the OS. After 2 months of trying to put up with it, I have to say that everything bad I've heard about Vista seems to be born out. I'm probably going to persevere with it for a while longer just in case MSFT get their act together, but I can see us nuking Vista and going to XP soon if things don't improve.

2 comments:

john d apps said...

You might try installing SP1 as that has made quite some improvement on my system.
www.extremetech.com has some good hints and tips too. I just stumbled across this great site and no, I have nothing to do with it.

Cheers, John

Mark Little said...

Hi John. I might give it a try, but I had heard rumours that SP1 had problems too.